Beauty Revolution Magazine

Beauty Revolution Magazine
Available NOW! Free online issue!

Monday, April 20, 2009

SOooooooo... I started this discussion on LinkedIn, and with everyones permission I decided to put the awesome details online on my blog...

Let me know what you think!

Hopefully I can figure out just how you can make comments because, as I said in the magazine, I would dearly LOVE to hear what you think!!!

Many blessings and here is the RIVETING conversation that we had ~ My words will be in italics:

Looking at adding men's fashion to Beauty Revolution Magazine (www.beautyrevolutionmagazine.com) and wanting to know what is your idea of fashion or style for men?
We are adding a section for men and we have three male stylists that all have different idea. Although I love having a think tank I also would love to hear from professionals their viewpoint. I have been researching and there is so much right now about how there is a loss in men's fashion because of globalization. What do you think?
Susan Alveshere, Beauty Revolution Magazine
March 2009

Fashion for men is a large canvas; in fact, it can vary by day for the same man. I have always felt the truest sense of fashion for each man is the individual style that best reflects what is INSIDE (attitude, beliefs, needs) and how HE (not others) perceives his genuine self and core purpose. Men are fragile animals and need tremendous flexibility in their fashion. Some days I go full blown Armani suit & tie, other days Zegna blazer with True Religion jeans, other days I dress down with a funky tee and Diesel jeans! Whatever makes me feel comfortable and 'on brand' with myself is my style of the day! 


Thanks,
Rick Cusick,
Executive VP at ZoomSystems,
Former Senior Vice President of Louis Vuitton.

http://artofmanliness.com/2008/11/11/your-individual-style/
Susan, 

I wrote about this a while back - the article is here http://artofmanliness.com/2008/11/11/your-individual-style 

Every man has his own unique style; it's just a matter of him finding it. 


Best,
Antonio Centeno
President, A Tailored Suit
www.ATailoredSuit.com
Antonio@ATailoredSuit.com
1-800-340-7345 Ext-0
Quality Custom Clothing, 100% Online, 100% Perfect Fit




Hi Susan,


If you are still following this discussion, do elaborate on your last point: "there is a loss in men's fashion because of globalization" 
I am not clear in what sense globalization is causing a loss in men's fashion? Also, what specifically is the loss... 
would like to understand your query better before I reply.



Thanks!
Shipra Chauhan,
Sr. Merchandising & Product
Development Manager (Apparel)
Writer in apprenticeship
Creative art enthusiast


Hi Shipra, 


I appreciate your comment, as I too was wondering about this very issue, which thus led me to this discussion. 

I recently read an article on a blog called the Salvage Yard and it was entitled, The Menswear Fashion Melting pot: 

http://theselvedgeyard.wordpress.com/2009/03/29/the-menswear-fashion-melting-pot/ 

I found it all together riveting and it really hit me - as I deal with very individual stylists (for our magazine) who have varying tastes and all VOW that they know best. :) 

I saw so much in what was said in this article about globalization marketing in men’s fashion and thus taking the distinct flavors that range from one country to another and merging them together. In itself this may not be a bad thing, however I totally see the authors point of view that somewhere along the line the etiquette of teaching youth to dress has been lost. Take a look, it is good reading! 

Blessings, Susan


Hey Susan, 


Thanks for the link- it definitely is a great write-up and a point-of-view well analyzed. 
We can draw an analogy here with shopping behavior! The lines that separated a luxury, mid tier and a discount shopper are also blurred. More shoppers are following trends/ or style across a cross-section of offerings, not specifically loyal to a chosen few labels/ stores. The same guy who shops Hugo Boss, can be seen shopping at BR too! So yes, it’s becoming more and more difficult to categorize shoppers in both realms. 

In the style sphere, I completely agree that people are mixing and merging flavors, and one external catalyst is the labels and stores themselves, who are offering these flavors in a bid to distinguish themselves. Another catalyst is of course the Internet, go to Sartorialist, and see real life fashion on the streets across the world and get inspired to mix trends and style to create your own. I think the need for individuality is the key, and an understanding of what your consumer is willing/wanting to inculcate in their wardrobe and what they would prefer not to or are not yet ready for (even if they like that specific style immensely). 
The American consumer, especially men, is still considered less experimental, less 'globalized' in terms of fashion and style. Your style section could choose to elevate that complacent safe haven of tried and tested classic styling (with recession more and more people would be inclined to not appear flighty or too experimental in corporate dressing for example, but alas, recession will not last forever :D), or it could choose to offer the consumer advice and direction on chosen fashion trends from across the Atlantic that merge well with the American style. If you choose the latter, and still would like to not appear too inventive, then there are ways to do that, like - focusing on accessories to tweak styling is easy for the consumer to adapt to and inculcate as a start. 

If your focus is the American consumer, then we can talk more about your specific consumer base and take this discussion offline. 

Well, globalization in fashion is also here to stay, like everything else, but I strongly feel that people do have a sense of where they belong and a New Yorker worth his salt would not like to look like a complete incarnation/ ad for Italian fashion on the streets of NYC. However, he would definitely be open to switch to more fitted shirts (the European fit), switch to trendier socks that peek through barely-there ankle length pants, and throw around a scarf around that makes a statement. 

I haven't researched your publication's consumer base/website yet, but I am guessing it’s in the metros? Oh yeah...that’s also proof that I am talking through my hat :D


Shipra Chauhan
Sr. Merchandising & Product Development Manager (Apparel).
Writer in apprenticeship.
Creative art enthusiast


Hi Susan,
I am based in the UK I am a handbag designer and to be honest during my research of 'What Men Want' I have come to the conclusion that they buy what is put in front of them, easy isn’t it. The other option is that in general they will wear whatever the girl in their life buys for them. I would hazard a guess that most men are wearing the tie or shirt that their partner bought for them and probably the suit was influenced by them too. 
I am just finishing the designs for our SS2010 collection and I asked my 24year old son and my husband who are both City Workers their opinion on ' what does a man look for in a work satchel ?' both of them said if they went into a store to buy a work satchel they would just take what ever was available. I was looking for an answer along the lines of 'Oh I need an ipod pocket' or 'a pocket for my travel pass', 'ring to hang my keys on for easy access'. 
Maybe I am only talking about European men but in general men are lazy shoppers, so what do men look for ? ask their wives is my view. 
Sorry guys I am not a feminist at all and I really like guys who choose their own look and I would really appreciate your feed back on what are men looking for in a wallet or work satchel let me know it will make my job a lot easier.

Anne Agoren
Designer at izzi bag

Thanks, Anne! 

You have made me laugh with your cunning wit over this issue.
Good luck with your design for the perfect work satchel. I know of some individuals who would love to put in their two cents as to what would be helpful. 
:) 
-Susan


Hi Susan~

While I may not have officially been in the fashion indusry too long, I have taken an immense interest in fashion dress over the past ten years. While it looks like men have branched out from the khaki pant and collared polo dress to eccentric cutting edge attire as seen in various magazines, I still believe that "Classic" style will ultimately prevail. Most men have an insecure sense of what to wear and usually go for the "safe" choice. This type of dress usually works for all types of events both casual and formal. Men want to wear what fits comfortably. A strong emphasis on tayloring should be put int this department. Ill filtting attire never seems right and can throw the whole outfit off. I believe that accent pieces have become more popular with classic dress and work to separate each individual man from their counterparts with a bit of flair. Not too flashy or loud. Unlike women, most men seek to blend in a bit more and want to avoid being the center of attention with their choice of dress. Social and work circles also have an immense effect on dress choice. American men tend to be much more conservative than our friends overseas and don't feel clothing purchases should be at the forefront of the budget. They don't mind wearing an outfit over and over as long as the fit is right. Global influences will continue to shape our national marketing campaigns and buyer purchases, but American men will most always fall back on comfort and conservatism. 
~Lori
Lori Masewic
Merchandise Allocator at Burlington Coat Factory
Greater Philadelphia Area

Keep it coming, folks! People from all over the world have a definate opinion in this issue, and WE WANT TO KNOW!!!

Blessings to each of you and THANKS for sharing!!!
~Susan

No comments: